For any small-business owner, every dollar—and every moment—counts.
This is especially true for those who have a transportation component (vehicles or fleets) to their business. There is always so much to do: products to deliver, vehicles to service and maintain, and driver calls to respond to. Just keeping the daily flow of operations running on track and on time can feel like an overwhelming task.
The great news is that there are tools available that can help. Yes, they are based on technology, but they are simple to implement and use—and they are available today. In fact, these tools even helped keep transportation companies afloat and thriving during the recent pandemic.
In addition, these technology tools can make a huge difference in boosting a company’s competitive edge as well as helping make the shift from being in a reactionary role, with little control, to a more proactive one. In this blog, we highlight some key components to embracing these new technologies, and how they can benefit your business.
The device: GPS tracker
One little tool has revolutionized how people navigate from point A to point B: GPS device tracking. It is easily accessible everywhere, and it is transforming how transportation companies manage their vehicles. With a GPS tracking device, a driver can find a location, and the business owner can track where that driver is at any given moment. That means greater insight into the status of when products or services are delivered, or how vehicles are performing on the road. Real-time alerts can also be set up to help drivers or business owners respond to situations as they arise. This tracking ability provides crucial information and greater visibility to ensure all operations—on the road and off—are running smoothly, cost-effectively, and on time.
The software: greater access to information
More than ever, information is everywhere. The problem is that not all of it is equal. There is just too much of it, and it takes too long to sift through it to figure out what is usable.
This information overload is a challenge for any company, especially one that is actively transporting goods and services. So being able to seamlessly collect and use specific information generated from your daily operations can help you not only better manage your business but make better decisions, and faster.
With the right transport vehicle management software, you can access valuable information on:
- Number of vehicle stops (e.g., multiple or unauthorized) including if products or services are arriving on time
- Time spent at each customer’s location, providing insight into driver efficiency
- Idling and fuel usage, delivering real numbers on dollars spent on fuel as well as where to possibly cut costs
- Number of miles driven in each state or total number of miles driven per year, helping streamline routes and thus fuel efficiency
- Driver miles or hours, making the payroll process faster and easier.
The heart: a heightened focus on safety
Your products or services, as well as every one of your drivers and vehicles, matter. As a result, ensuring their safety is key.
According to the US National Highway Traffic Safety Association, “22.2% of the crash report was brought down when AI was implemented on route planning, which can detect roadblocks, heavy traffic, intersections, and roundabouts.” This statistic alone highlights the added benefit of using technology to improve safety. Specifically, it is essential to have the ability to:
- Monitor speed and driver behavior, ensuring adherence to company standards and limiting the number of accidents
- Better monitor vehicle health, such as knowing exactly when to schedule maintenance, making vehicles more reliable and safer to drive
- Respond quicker to breakdowns, ensuring drivers are not waiting long for help
- Trigger an alert in the case of a stolen vehicle, enabling faster recovery.
Technology as an effective tool for your business
Embracing transportation technology tools can feel intimidating, but they can actually help evolve your business by:
- Delivering better insight into driver behavior, time of arrival of products or services, and vehicle location
- Providing the information you need at any given moment, allowing you to pivot to address any issues and make informed decisions using real-time data
Ensuring your vehicles’ operations are running smoothly, efficiently, and safely—at all times.
Satrack: Industry Experts Who Can Help
Satrack knows technology—but we also know how to integrate that technology easily and effectively into your business. Our staff of industry experts can help you every step of the way, from the initial device installation to maximizing how the device can best work for your business. Satrack’s experience and international presence are the perfect combo for companies needing greater visibility and support to successfully manage their vehicles and positively impact their bottom line.
By choosing Satrack, you gain:
- Excellent customer service built on serving 40,000 customers over 27 years
- Actual hands-on support from industry experts when you need it
- Access to the tools and information you need to save money, make better, more informed decisions, and ultimately streamline your transportation operations.
Contact Satrack today to get a free demo.
Learn more about how Satrack can help smaller field service fleets optimize operations, improve driver behaviors and lower risk, deliver services on time, and reduce operating costs. Click here to schedule a call!